For all you green thumbs out there who also love technology, you can now combine these two interests with iOS gardening apps. There are many terrific gardening-related apps available for your iOS smart phones and tablets that provide a wealth of information for both the casual and serious gardener. Some are free, and others have a small fee, but all are essential to those gardeners who want to learn more about their favorite hobby.
This wonderful app, by SnappTech, is jam-packed with information that helps you learn everything you need to know about plants and creating a garden. This cool app will even tell you the name of a plant when you take a picture of it, and has a library of over 20,000 pictures of plants, and also allows you to share your pictures over social networks or get advice from local horticulturists.
- Identifies plants using pictures that you take
- Plant library of over 20,000 plants
- Get custom advice from real horticulturists (local experts)
- Month or yearly subscriptions
Garden Plan Pro
This app features a large plant database and a calendar that helps you identify what you wish to plant and the best time to plant it. It also contains crop rotation help, as well as weather information for your particular area.
- Works with any shape of garden, raised beds, rows or containers, SFG squares
- Graphical layout of garden elements
- Growing information for more than 190 plants.
- Includes data from popular suppliers
- Recommends the best planting and harvesting dates for your area
- Provides advice on crop rotation and succession planning
- Online service to provide planting reminders
This interactive app from Mother Earth News lets gardeners layout their entire garden graphically using representation of the types of plants they wish to grow. It simplifies the planning and planting process by automatically spacing and calculating how many plants you can grow in traditional rows, blocks, in raised beds or by using the square-foot gardening method.
- Include multiple beds or other gardening elements in your layout.
- Includes data for more than 140 crops and plants, including vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers and cover crops.
- Every crop includes a detailed growing guide.
- The app automatically spaces the plants and calculates how many you can fit into the area you specify.
- Supports traditional rows, blocks, raised beds or the square-foot gardening method.
- Calculates planting times based on your zip code.
- Alerts for violating standard crop-rotation practices.
- Includes catalogs from several major seed suppliers
- Can be used with a Vegetable Garden Planner account.
When to Plant
If you want to know the best time to plant certain plants or vegetables, this app will guide you. It provides the best planting times for more than 120 veggies, herbs, and flowers. Simply enter your zip code and you get a database of almost 5,000 weather stations across North America, and can locate the average frost dates for your garden, as well as the best range of planting dates for each crop you want to plant.
- Calculates planting dates specific to your zip code.
- Full growing information for more than 120 vegetables, herbs, fruit, cover crops and companion planting flowers
- For each plant, the app includes advice on the best soil type and sun requirements, sowing instructions, troubleshooting tips, and how to harvest
- Create a favorites list of the plants you commonly grow
- Easy access to National Weather Service long-range forecast maps (U.S. only)
Veronica’s Garden Tracker
This app, by Jeffery Martin, helps you keep track of what you planted, and when and where you planted it, by keeping a visual journal of your garden. It also provides information on destructive garden pests, best times to fertilize, and much more.
- Plan your garden visually
- Serves as a garden journal that will allow you to record what you learn while gardening
- Ideal for square foot gardens, classic row gardens, vertical gardens, container gardens, urban gardens, back yard gardens, school gardens, allotments, and herb gardens.