One of our favorite traditions every spring is painting Easter eggs. It’s not only a great excuse to get the family together, but also a lot of fun. While many of us choose to buy a coloring kit from the local grocery store, you can actually make the dye all by yourself using vegetables and spices. Why waste any more money, when you can just use natural ingredients you already have in the house? Check out exactly how to do this below.
1. Begin mashing up around 4 cups worth of your favorite fruits and vegetables. You’ll then place that mixture into 4 cups of boiling water. Remember, if you selected some kind of watery produce like spinach, you should use less water. For those who chose to make their dye out of spices, gather up 4 tablespoons instead of 4 cups.
2. Then, throw 2 tablespoons of white vinegar into your water and let it simmer all together for 30 minutes. After that time has passed, strain out any pieces of fruits, vegetables, and spices that are floating around. The liquid that’s left over in your pan is now your dye.
If you’re curious what fruits, vegetables, and spices will create the color you want, take a look at our guide below:
- Beets – Pink to red
- Red cabbage – Blue
- Turmeric or cumin – Bright yellow
- Yellow onion skins – Yellow to dark orange
- Red onion skins – Pale purple to red
- Spinach – Green
- Purple grape juice – Lavender
- Coffee – Tan to brown
- Chili powder – Orange
- Raspberries or blackberries – Pink to purple
- Green apple peels – Green
Keep in mind, though, that these are just some suggestions of what items you can use from your kitchen. There are plenty of more fruits, vegetables, and spices that will have the same type of effect, so play around and see what you can come up with. Chances are, if the ingredient stains your fingers and cutting board, it will do the same to your eggshells. Plus, if you end up soaking the eggs in your dye overnight and the color isn’t what you were hoping for, you can always toss the dye and eggs into a small pot and then simmer them for anywhere up to 30 minutes.