Many gardeners use chemicals to get all the pests away from their growing fruits and vegetables. It is true that there are probably some Aphids, mealybugs, and other pests preying on and damaging your produce and flowers. Yet, there are also some good bugs there too that help protect your flowers and vegetables from those pests. Here are six beneficial insects you need in your garden:
- Green Lacewing. These bugs sort of look like grasshoppers, with wings. These bugs are known to eat soft bodied pests during all stages of their lives, from larva through adulthood. They specifically get rid of thrips, spider mites, aphids, beetles, caterpillars and many more.
- Ladybug Beetle. These are your typical ladybugs. They have red bodies with black spots and black heads and legs. While they may seem small and harmless to us, they are voracious predators of the insects you don’t want in your garden.
- Mealybug Destroyer. These bugs look a lot like ladybugs in shape. They have red/orange heads and black beetle-like bodies. They are used to control three main types of mealy bugs: Nipaecoccus nipae, Planococcus citri, and Pseudococcus sp.
- Minute Pirate Bug. These bugs, also called “Flower Bugs” are commonly used to control pests and help crops. They are known to eat Thrips, even adult thrips, which are known to cause a lot of damage to crops and produce. Getting these Minute Pirate Bugs is a great idea because their diet is eating the small pests that we hate in our garden. They reproduce at fast rates, allowing them to minimize large infestations quicky. They are known to help protect your crops against Alfalfa Weevils, Aphids, Armyworms, Asparagus Beetles, Brown Almond Mites, Thripts, Two-Spotted Spider Mites, Potato Leafhopper, Mites, Mealybugs and many more.
- Mite Predator. Mite Predators are small brownish/clear looking bugs that mainly eat pollen. However, they are known predators of Two-Spotted Spider Mites and have been know to eat the pests in their adult stages as well as eggs and in the nymph stages. They are also known to eat other pests such as the Brown Almond Mite, Mites, and Spider Mite.
- Purple Scale Predator. These bugs are small with blackish bodies and a purple-ish head. They have colored bands across their bellies. They are known to eat both soft bodied and hard bodied pests that you want out of your garden. These insects are know to protect your garden against Citrus Red Scale, Citrus Yellow Scale, and Scale insects
There are many bugs that are beneficial insects that you can use in your garden to get rid of an infestation. Before you go to the store and spend all that money on expensive chemicals, that end up killing all the bugs, both good and bad, consider purchasing beneficial bugs to wipe out those nasty pests. Do the research and find out which bugs are the best predators to wipe out the bugs that you want gone.
Do you have any of these beneficial insects in your garden?